Thursday, January 29, 2009

55 Too Young To Retire

55 Too Young To Retire

So there I was having coffee with an up and coming executive. A good friend who was carrying the weight of his job around like a bad cold. I asked what was the problem, he said `my staff just doesn`t get it` .. I said stop right there!

His problem sounded just like me some 20 years ago. I was a purest, a corporate idealist. Just not listening to the people around me. I started telling him about `extreme listening`. You know, actually listening, without interrupting, just focused on what`s being said. Hearing what`s being said and not being said. That in itself is a learning experience.

Anyway long story short, I was basically telling him to break free from his habitual bad programming and come down to their level and really hear them out. As Wayne Dyer so aptly puts it `change the way you look at things and the things you look at change`.

He was keenly interested in what I was saying, so much so that he offered me a short term contract to help him out with some consulting. I said sure, why not. It`s just me sharing my anecdotal stories from my own school of hard knocks and getting paid for it.

So here`s the thing, we all have `lessons learned` and those lessons are worth real money to the right people. If you are looking for that contract it will elude you. When you aren`t looking for it, it always finds you and does so because you were `listening` and engaged in conversation.

This again adds to my Cash Quadrant 55 Too Young To Retire plan. Retire .. no way, no how!

No comments:

Post a Comment